From the first opening scenes of the campaign to the warm, familiar waters of online multiplayer you can be in no doubt that this game is good. I mean, seriously good. Black Ops takes everything that made Modern Warfare 2 so good, and just wraps it all up in a comprehensive and coherent package. The game excels with a throughly detailed, layered plot populated full of so many interesting characters. I’m going to share with you some of my favourite things from the main story in Black Ops:
- The mystery- Where exactly are you being interrogated and what has been done to you? The game keeps you hanging right until the end.
- The return of Viktor Reznov- his motives and his backstory are a particular highlight for me.
- Location, location, location- from the jungles of Vietnam to the arctic circle, Black Ops doesn’t disappoint.
- Mr. Ice Cube, aka Hudson- one of the coolest characters ever? Quite possibly.
- The crossbow is simply too much fun to use. Explosive bolts rack up the carnage.
I could go on and on, but that’s all for now about the main campaign. What about the multiplayer?
- Maps done right- they’re full of interesting details, absolutely huge, and from what I’ve been able to tell so far, superbly balanced.
- Actually, they’re not all huge, there’s actually a really good mix of maps out there.
- ‘Nuketown’ for example is a fun, intense tiny map. Beware of grenades!
- The remote control bomb cars are an interesting kill streak reward, and very satisfying to detonate.
- A favourite piece of kit is the camera spike. Very handy for spotting those that would sneak up on you.
- I seem to be suffering a lot of connection problems though, possibly due to the load on the PlayStation Network?
- Terrible lag sometimes, same as above. Hopefully any issues like these will be ironed out.
- Character customisation is enhanced, but to what end? Seems ultimately pointless.
Those are just some quick thoughts for now on Call of Duty: Black Ops. Is there anything you would like to add?